Impacted districts include:
The Government of Malawi has declared a state of emergency due to severe flooding in the south, affecting thirteen districts. This flooding has resulted in significant loss of life, substantial property damage, and the widespread displacement of local residents.
Actions to Take:
- Find an alternate route or delay your travel.
- Consider if you have adequate food, water, and medical supplies in the event of flooding, accident, or vehicle break down.
- Consider how to call for help in an emergency. The ongoing natural disaster has strained cell networks in southern Malawi and they may not be reliably available.
- S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
+(265) 1 773 166
+(265) 999 591 024
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444