Applications for regular passport renewals in non-emergency circumstances are accepted at the Embassy and electronically transmitted to the United States for issuance and printing. The length of time between application and arrival of the new passport can take two to three weeks. Emergency replacements of lost or stolen passports will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
If your passport has expired or is going to expire, please bring:
- Your most recent passport;
- 2 pictures 5×5 cm (2 inches by 2 inches), full face, with white background, no head cover; As of November 1, 2016, we will no longer accept photographs containing eyeglasses or eyewear of any kind, unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
- Applicants age 16 and over pay $110 US dollars and applicants under 16 pay a total of $105 US dollars. This fee is payable in US dollars or Malawian Kwacha.
- Renewal of passports (DS-82) (adult $110)
- Renewal of Children’s passports (DS-11) (minor $105)
- Statement of consent (DS-3053), when only one parent is available
If your passport has been lost or stolen, please bring:
- proof of your identity (i.e. photo ID, such as a driver’s license, residence permit for Malawi, old passport);
- proof of your citizenship (a birth or naturalization certificate, or an old passport);
- a police report of the circumstances of the theft or loss.
- The fee for replacing an adult’s lost or stolen passport is $135 US dollars or the equivalent in Kwacha. The cost of passport replacement for a child remains $105 US dollars or the equivalent in Kwacha;
- 2 pictures 5×5 cm (2 in. x 2 in.) full face, white background, no head cover ; As of November 1, 2016, we will no longer accept photographs containing eyeglasses or eyewear of any kind, unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
- Reporting a Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-11 and DS-64)
If no documents verifying your citizenship and identity are available, but you need to travel immediately, Consular staff will discuss with you possible alternatives to allow issuance of an emergency passport of limited validity.