Passport Services

The Consular Section schedules appointments for passport applications during non-emergency ACS hours: Tuesday & Thursdays 8:00 am-11:00;. except on U.S. and Malawian holidays.

Click here to schedule an ACS Appointment.

 The online appointment system is easy to use, and appointments for all services are readily available.

We also have limited availability for walk-in appointments Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:00am to 11:00am.  Please note walk-in appointments may experience long wait times, as those with confirmed appointments will be accommodated first.  Depending on workload, we cannot guarantee walk-in appointments for non-emergency services will be accommodated.  Those seeking non-emergency services outside these hours will be asked to schedule an appointment.


Applications for regular passport renewals in non-emergency circumstances are accepted at the Embassy and electronically transmitted to the United States for issuance and printing. The length of time between application and arrival of the new passport can take two to three weeks. Emergency replacements of lost or stolen passports will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
If your passport has expired or is going to expire, please bring:

Your most recent passport;

2 pictures 5×5 cm (2 inches by 2 inches), full face, with white background, no head cover; As of November 1, 2016, we will no longer accept photographs containing eyeglasses or eyewear of any kind, unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.

Applicants age 16 and over pay $110 US dollars and applicants under 16 pay a total of $115 US dollars. This fee is payable in US dollars or Malawian Kwacha.

Renewal of passports (DS-82) (adult $110)

Renewal of Children’s passports (DS-11) (minor $115)

Statement of consent (DS-3053), when only one parent is available

Elimination of Visa Page Inserts for U.S. Passports

The U.S. Department of State will no longer add visa pages into U.S. passports beginning January 1, 2016. Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards.

To mitigate the impact on frequent travelers, the Department began issuing 52-page passports to all applicants outside the United States starting October 1, 2014 for no additional cost. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book.

Requests for additional 24-page visa inserts will only be accepted until December 31, 2015. Beginning January 1, 2016, applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport by mail.

For more information on how or where to apply, please visit

or call the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778/1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD).

For media inquiries please contact:

U.S. citizens seeking emergency services may contact the U.S. Embassy at 01-733-166.

In the event that the land line is malfunctioning, please call the following mobile number 0999-591-024and 0888-734-826 (if in Malawi) or 011-265-999-591-024 and 011-265-888-734-826 (if in the U.S.).

If your passport has been lost or stolen, please bring:

proof of your identity (i.e. photo ID, such as a driver’s license, residence permit for Malawi, old passport);

proof of your citizenship (a birth or naturalization certificate, or an old passport);

a police report of the circumstances of the theft or loss.

The fee for replacing an adult’s lost or stolen passport is $145 US dollars or the equivalent in Kwacha.  The cost of passport replacement for a child remains $115 US dollars or the equivalent in Kwacha;

2 pictures 5×5 cm (2 in. x 2 in.) full face, white background, no head cover ; As of November 1, 2016, we will no longer accept photographs containing eyeglasses or eyewear of any kind, unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.

Reporting a Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-11 and DS-64)

If no documents verifying your citizenship and identity are available, but you need to travel immediately, Consular staff will discuss with you possible alternatives to allow issuance of an emergency passport of limited validity.