Eligibility for a CRBA

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad  (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Required documents

To apply for a Report of Birth Abroad for your child all parents and the child must be present at the interview. You must bring the following documents:

  1. Completed form DS-2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Please do not sign;
  2. If applying also for a passport:
    • Completed form DS-11– Application for a Passport. Complete online and print. Please do not sign;
    • Completed form SS-5 – Application for a Social Security Card for children under the age of 5 – Please sign at box 17;
  3. Original birth certificate issued by the National Registration Bureau listing the parents’ names.
    • Birth certificates listing just the child and hospital birth registrations are not acceptable.
    • Please bring the original and 2 photocopies;
  4. If married, marriage certificate (original or certified true copy). Please bring the original and 1 photocopy;
  5. If previously married, the original or certified copy of divorce decree, or death certificate for all previous marriages. Please bring the original and 1 photocopy;
  6. Valid passport/identification document for the parent(s). Please bring the original and 2 photocopies of the bio page of the document;
  7. Proof of U.S. citizenship (passport, birth certificate, or Certificate of Naturalization) for the American parent(s). Please bring the original plus 3 copies of the bio page of the passport, or 1 photocopy of birth certificate or Certificate of Naturalization;
  8. Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts and employment records.
    • Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances;

All foreign language documents presented must be accompanied by a simple English translation that does NOT have to be certified.

Please, click here to learn more about the required documents to apply for a CRBA.