U.S. Citizen Services

The consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe is operating with reduced in-person staffing and limited appointments. To schedule an appointment for a passport or a notarial service, click here. To schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please follow the instructions found here on our website. For emergency American Citizen Services (death, arrest, or hospitalization of U.S. citizen), contact us at LilongweConsular@state.gov.

The Consular Section schedules appointments for non-emergency American Citizens Services (ACS) on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. except on U.S. and Malawian holidays.

Our goal is to serve you as quickly and efficiently as possible and requests for all non-emergency services, including passport renewals, the filing of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services, should schedule an appointment online.

Click here to schedule an ACS Appointment.

The online appointment system is easy to use, and appointments for all services are readily available.

We also have limited availability for walk-in appointments Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:00am to 11:00am. Please note walk-in appointments may experience long wait times, as those with confirmed appointments will be accommodated first.  Depending on workload, we cannot guarantee walk-in appointments for non-emergency services will be accommodated.  Those seeking non-emergency services outside these hours will be asked to schedule an appointment. No walk-in ACS appointments for non-emergencies will be seen on Fridays.

American citizens in need of emergency assistance can contact us by phone during regular working hours at + 265 887 38 41 09 or after hours at +265 999 96 01 78. Emergencies will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

The Embassy’s Consular Section provides a full range of consular services, including: renewal/replacement of passports, registering U.S. citizens, certifying the citizenship of American children born in Malawi, providing information and advice on obtaining medical or legal assistance, processing requests for Social Security and Veterans Benefits, and emergency assistance in case of illness, injury, arrest or death.

The Embassy’s Consular Section can also:

  • Distribute payments from Social Security and Veterans Administration,
  • Assist with absentee voting,
  • Selective Service Registration,
  • and provide access to U.S. tax forms.

Current information about Malawi and advice for Americans visiting or living here is also available in the country specific information page on Malawi.

We also recommend that travelers check the State Department’s website travel.state.gov for information on any country they plan to visit.

Consular officers cannot act as travel agents, banks, lawyers, investigators, or law enforcement officers.  They may not find employment, obtain residence or driving permits, act as interpreters, search for missing luggage, or settle disputes with hotel managers. They can, however, advise you how to obtain help on these and other matters.

Individuals seeking more specific information can email us at LilongweConsular@state.gov.  Most email queries are responded to within two business days.  If your request is urgent, you may call +265 887 38 41 09 during regular working hours.

Alerts and Messages

COVID-19 Information

See all Messages and Alerts for U.S. Visitors to Malawi.