As of November 16, 2020, Malawi there are 5,971 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout Malawi, with 5.402 recovered patients and 185 related deaths from COVID-19.
Arrival: The government is requiring all arriving passengers into the Republic of Malawi to produce a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test certificate obtained within 10 days prior to arrival in Malawi and to complete a health declaration form. Although the Malawian health authorities have indicated testing may be available upon arrival for US$ 100, the U.S. Embassy highly recommends all American Citizens have their testing done in advance to avoid complications during travel or denial of entry. Although a quarantine is no longer required for those arriving with a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test, the government requests all arriving passengers to self-monitor for 14 days, after which district health officials will follow up with them.
Departure: The government is also requiring a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test certificate obtained within 10 days of departure from Malawi. The test must be taken in a Government of Malawi approved testing facility. To be tested, bring your passport, a flight itinerary, and US$ 100. Please be sure to check with Government of Malawi for the most up to date departure requirements.
The government of Malawi has implemented other measures to limit the spread of the virus, including mandatory face mask usage and those who do not comply may be subject to fines.
The U.S. Embassy remains unable to resume routine American Citizen Services or non-immigrant or immigrant visa services. To submit a request for an emergency service please email LilongweConsular@state.gov
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter