As of September 28, 2020, Malawi there are 5,768 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout Malawi, with 4,206 recovered patients and 179 related deaths from COVID-19. Effective September 5, 2020 Kamuzu international Airport re-opened to commercial air traffic and at present there are four commercial flights a week operated by Ethiopian Airlines and Kenya Airways.
Arrival: The government is requiring all arriving passengers into the Republic of Malawi to produce a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test certificate obtained within 10 days prior to arrival in Malawi. Although the Malawian health authorities have indicated testing may be available upon arrival for US$ 100, the U.S. Embassy highly recommends all American Citizens have their testing done in advance to avoid complications during travel or denial of entry. All arriving passengers will be required to proceed on self-quarantine for l4 days during the time they will be followed up by Health Authorities.
Departure: The government is also requiring a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test certificate obtained within 10 days of departure from Malawi. The test must be taken in a Government of Malawi approved testing facility. To be tested, bring your passport, a flight itinerary, and US$ 100. Please be sure to check with Government of Malawi for the most up to date departure requirements.
The government of Malawi has implemented other measures to limit the spread of the virus, including mandatory face mask usage and those who do not comply may be subject to fines.
The U.S. Embassy remains unable to resume routine American Citizen Services or non-immigrant or immigrant visa services. To submit a request for an emergency service please email LilongweConsular@state.gov
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter