Event: New COVID-19 mitigation measures implemented
Effective December 23, the Malawi Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 has implemented the following measures to limit the spread of the virus:
- All land borders will be closed for two weeks (14 days) starting December 23, 2020, except for essential goods transporters, deportees and those in special circumstances.
- Malawians and residents can return to Malawi upon production of an original certified negative COVID-19 test result.
- Malawians and residents can travel out of Malawi.
- Foreigners may not travel to Malawi via land boarders.
- All activities that involve an audience, such as music shows, sports, arts, and religious gatherings, are restricted to 100 people or fewer.
- Wearing of face masks in all public places is mandatory.
- For questions related to COVID-19 preparedness in Malawi, contact the Ministry of Health at +265 1 789 400 or https://www.health.gov.mw/ or monitor changes on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/malawimoh. You may also visit the Public Health Institute of Malawi’s COVID-19 website for updates http://covid19.health.gov.mw/.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what to do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated
- information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the latest restrictions on travel to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
Area 40, City Center Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter