Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (June 22, 2020)
Event: Malawi Government is scheduled to host Presidential Elections on June 23, 2020.
Malawi’s election day is currently scheduled for Tuesday, June 23, 2020 and results will be announced on or around July 1, 2020. Please employ best practices for your personal safety and security.
While election day is expected to be peaceful, caution is always advisable. Large gatherings can be unpredictable and can cause traffic congestion and temporary road closures. Given the unique situation we face regarding COVID-19, exercising good judgement about social distancing and personal protective measures remains critically important.
Take this opportunity to review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, and monitor local news and social media for updates. Ensure that your home and family are prepared in terms of food, water, hygiene items, and the ability to stay in communication with family and colleagues. It is better to always be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security. Due to staffing limitations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and associated travel restrictions, the ability of the Embassy to provide emergency assistance is extremely limited.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi – Area 40, City Center, Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter