Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Malawi (April 16, 2020)
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Event: The U.S. Embassy has confirmed availability of seats on a special commercial flight leaving Malawi on or around April 24.
The Department of State is preparing an evacuation flight for private U.S. citizens on a reimbursable basis, leaving Lilongwe Kamuzu International Airport on or around April 24, 2020. The flight will be traveling from Lilongwe to Dulles International Airport (IAD) in the Washington, DC metro area via Addis Abba and Dublin. The estimated cost for the flight is $2,000-3,000 per seat.
U.S. citizens who are interested and prepared to travel should immediately contact the U.S. Embassy Consular section via the Lilongwe Evacuation Request Form. Please do not call to confirm receipt of your email; you will be contacted with additional information.
U.S. Embassy Malawi urges all persons who are considering repatriation to do so at this time.
Each traveler needs to ensure that they supply a valid email address and telephone number at which they can be contacted. Once contacted, please respond immediately.
- All passengers must pay in advance via credit card. U.S. citizens who cannot pay in advance may reimburse the U.S. Government for the flight at a later date, a promissory note (Form DS-5528) must be signed by all passengers before boarding. You will be responsible for any arrangements or costs (lodging, transportation to an onward destination, local transportation, etc.) beyond the flight’s initial destination in the USA. You are also responsible for your own transportation to the Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe. Exact departure date and time and routing are subject to change.
- Travelers are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with Malawian immigration regulations and laws prior to travel.
- Passengers are allowed 2 checked bags, not exceeding 23 kilograms each, one carry-on, and one personal item that can fit under the seat in front of them. There is no ability to purchase additional baggage. Pets may be accommodated at cost. Unaccompanied pets not allowed.
- All passengers on the flight will be subject to health screening at the airport, conducted by Malawian government authorities. Those who have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, to include a fever, will not be allowed to board. Additionally, the Malawian government may immediately subject you to quarantine at a Malawian government-approved quarantine facility.
- Upon entry to the United States, individuals on this transport may be subject to CDC screening, health observation, monitoring requirements and existing DHS entry requirements. Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center, Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431or +265-887-384-109 or +265-887-002-506
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter