As of September 1, 2020, Malawi there are 5,576 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout Malawi, with 3,420 recovered patients and and 175 related deaths from COVID-19. The government of Malawi has implemented measures to limit the spread of the virus. Effective September 1, 2020 Kamuzu international Airport is open for commercial air traffic. Only a limited number of flights shall be allowed to operate with the first anticipate on September 5.
All arriving passengers into the Republic of Malawi shall be required to produce a negative SARS Cov-2 PCR test certificate obtained within 10 days prior to arrival in Malawi. Any passenger without the said certificate will be denied entry. All arriving passengers will be required to proceed on self-quarantine for l4 days during the time they will be followed up by Health Authorities.
The U.S. Embassy remains unable to resume routine American Citizen Services or non-immigrant or immigrant visa services. To submit a request for an emergency service please email LilongweConsular@state.gov
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter