Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (May 28, 2020)
Event: Malawi has confirmed one hundred and one (101) cases and four (4) deaths from COVID-19
The Department of State’s Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 remains in place.
Routine consular services by U.S. Embassy Lilongwe remain suspended. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
As of May 27th, Malawi has confirmed one hundred and one (101) cases and four (4) deaths from COVID-19. The government of Malawi has implemented measures to limit the spread of the virus. Schools and universities are closed until further notice. Sporting events, festivals, religious services, and gatherings larger than 100 people have been banned. Fast food outlets, restaurants, and public eating places are closed except for take away services. Funerals shall comply with social distance restrictions and sanitary measures and be attended by a maximum number of 50 people. For questions related to COVID-19 preparedness in Malawi, please contact the Ministry of Health at +265 1 789 400 or https://www.health.gov.mw/ or monitor changes on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/malawimoh. You may also visit the Public Health Institute of Malawi’s COVID-19 website for updates http://covid19.health.gov.mw/.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi- Area 40, City Center, Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter