Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (March 18, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 199,000 people infected globally.
Malawi has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders. However, the government of Malawi has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers who are symptomatic and have a travel history to China, Iran, South Korea, the United Kingdom, Japan, Norway, the United States, South Africa, Seychelles, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Namibia, Tanzania or any of the countries in the European Union in the preceding 14 days are taken to an isolation room at the airport for further medical investigation. Travelers who have been to China, Iran, South Korea, the United Kingdom, Japan, Norway, the United States, South Africa, Seychelles, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Namibia, Tanzania or any of the countries in the European Union recently but are asymptomatic are referred for self-quarantine at home and daily check-ups for 14 days. Travelers to Malawi arriving from countries on this list who are made to self-quarantine will not be allowed to self-quarantine in hotels or lodges in Malawi. As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve daily, travelers should be prepared for this list to change and for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
Actions to Take: Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Ministry of Health for the Government of Malawi Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/malawimoh for updates
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in Malawi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
- S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter