Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (August 11, 2020)
Event: Malawi has confirmed 4,674 cases and 146 deaths from COVID-19
The Department of State’s Global Level 4 Health Advisory has been rescinded but Malawi remains Level 4 for COVID-19.
Routine consular services by U.S. Embassy Lilongwe remain suspended. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
As of August 10, Malawi has confirmed 4, 674 cases and 146 deaths from COVID-19. The government of Malawi has implemented measures to limit the spread of the virus. The airports remain closed to commercial air traffic. Schools and universities are closed until further notice. Sporting events, festivals, religious services, and all other public gatherings larger than 10 people have been banned. Fast food outlets, restaurants, and public eating places are closed except for take away services. Funerals shall comply with social distance restrictions and sanitary measures and be attended by a maximum number of 50 people. The Malawi Government has also put in place laws that make wearing of a face mask in all public places mandatory. Those found to be violating this law will be fined. For questions related to COVID-19 preparedness in Malawi, please contact the Ministry of Health at +265 1 789 400 or https://www.health.gov.mw/ or monitor changes on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/malawimoh. You may also visit the Public Health Institute of Malawi’s COVID-19 website for updates http://covid19.health.gov.mw/.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi , Area 40, City Center Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter