Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (April 24, 2020)
Event: U.S. Embassy Lilongwe Repatriation Flight Has Departed
A special repatriation flight organized by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe departed Malawi for the United States on April 24. At this time, U.S. Embassy Lilongwe does not anticipate that there will be additional charter or special commercial flights organized by the Department of State and U.S. Embassy from Malawi to the United States. Commercial options remain unavailable from Malawi.
While we do not anticipate additional chartered or special commercial repatriation flights from Malawi to the United States, we continue to collect details of U.S. citizens and LPRs who are interested in such flights. We will continue to use the online Lilongwe Evacuation Request Form, to register U.S. citizens who are interested in any potential future flights. If you are interested in a potential future flight and have not yet done so, please complete the request form (one submission per individual traveler). You do not need to complete the form again if you have already submitted it – we have your information and will contact you if future flights become available.
Given the closure of airports and reduction of flight options worldwide, U.S. citizens currently located outside of the United States should be prepared to remain outside the United States for an extended period, until commercial flights reopen. Routine consular services by U.S. Embassy Lilongwe remain suspended. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Any information we have regarding options to return to the United States will be sent out via STEP messages, so if you have not done so, please register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This is the only way to receive up-to-date information about U.S. Embassy activities in Malawi.
The Department of State’s Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 remains in place.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malawi https://mw.usembassy.gov/
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center, Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter