Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi (March 30, 2020)
Event: Malawi has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. On March 27, 2020, the Government of Malawi has instituted a ban on all commercial international flights effective Wednesday, April 1, 2020. The Government of Malawi is considering further restrictions if the situation worsens.
The Government of Malawi has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Effective March 17, 2020, U.S. Embassy Lilongwe has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of U.S. citizens from Malawi. However, in the event that opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to let us know now if you are interested in being contacted.
Please send an email to LilongweConsular@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Date of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phone number
- Current location
- Desired onward destination in the U.S.
We will contact you if a repatriation flight is being arranged and provide you with logistical information, including its cost per seat. It is important to note that these seats are traditionally offered at-charge on a first-come, first-serve basis to U.S. citizens and, space permitting, for qualifying non-citizen dependents. Private U.S. citizens seeking to depart are required to sign a promissory note and will be billed at a later date for the cost of the flight.
Interested parties should verify that their passports and other documentation are current and valid for at least six months from today’s date. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/.
Actions to Take: Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Ministry of Health for the Government of Malawi Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/malawimoh, and the Public Health Institute of Malawi (PHIM) website http://malawipublichealth.orgfor updates.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in Malawi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi, Area 40, City Center, Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431 or +265-887-384-109 or +265-887-002-506
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.