Mzuzu University American Corner was officially opened by the Ambassador of the United States of American on 24 October 2005. It has about 230 registered non-university members.
Mzuzu American Corner primarily serves a community of about 2000 students from Mzuzu University and 150 academic staff. But, it also serves the surrounding communities of about 160, 000 people in the city of Mzuzu and surrounding areas. There is no other center in the Northern part of Malawi that can provide comprehensive information about the United States and Education Advising Services to those aspiring to study in the United States. The American Corner is therefore well placed in the city to provide this service. Other services include reliable internet connectivity which is very difficult to come across in the North, not only in the city of Mzuzu but the entire northern region of the country.
Mzuzu is fairly isolated in terms of services and resources but the introduction of major service companies (such as department stores already available in Blantyre and Lilongwe) into the region is attracting more people to the city. It is also a place where people are beginning to learn using alternative methods of capacity building. For example the book club encourages building of reading and conversation skills, free online courses (Massive Open Online Courses -MOOCs), giving those with limited accessibility to education a chance to advance at very little expense to themselves and speaker programs encourage debate and review of societies and their principles. Our goal is to introduce competitive clubs in the schools that would encourage more social engagement with and among a wider variety (high achievers privileged or not) of students.
In January 2016 Mzuzu University library was completed destroyed by a fire and the American Corner which is housed in the building adjacent to what was the main library, sustained basic damages. However, the corner is now back up and fully operational.
The American Corner is open to:
The general public
Students of Mzuzu Universtiy
Mzuzu University Staff
Communities around Mzuzu
- Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and then 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
- Saturdays and Sundays: Closed
- Public Holidays: Closed
- Access to a wide range of print and electronic materials on USA
- Access to free public Internet facility
- Speaker and motivational programs
- Free Internet training workshops
- Film screenings
- Book Club meetings
- Author Readings
- Promotional meetings and exhibits
- Access to extensive advising resources for those wishing to study in the USA including planning on education and career in the USA.
- Providing information on over 3500 accredited institutions of higher learing in the USA.
- Advice on how to finance U.S. education
- Registration and study materials for standardized tests: TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT etc.
- Field of study, guidance for undergraduate and graduate programs.