Event: The U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe will be curtailing operations tomorrow, July 5, 2019 due to ongoing demonstrations. Demonstrations are expected nationwide to include the cities of Lilongwe, Blantyre, Zomba, and Mzuzu. All Embassy personnel are required to remain in Lilongwe’s areas 10, 12, and 43 or at their hotel or other overnight location if located outside of Lilongwe. Currently, travel between Kamuzu International Airport and areas 10, 12, and 43 is also permitted tomorrow. While predominantly peaceful, the U.S. Embassy assesses a substantial likelihood of violence, vandalism, and looting by criminal actors using the demonstrations for cover. Please refer to the Alert on July 3rd for further information.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution moving around major cities on July 5.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route.
- If you are unable to depart the area, keep your windows up and doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3421
Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter