Event: Demonstrations are planned in Lilongwe today, December 10, 2019. The demonstration will begin at Lilongwe Community Ground, via Mchesi, to the Kamuzu Central Hospital roundabout then on to Kenyatta Drive to Presidential Way then Chilembwe Road and end at Capital Hill. If you are outside of Lilongwe, please exercise caution, since demonstrations may erupt in other cities across the country. The U.S. Embassy is scheduled to remain open for normal operations.
The Human Rights Defenders Coalition has called for mass demonstrations to continue until the Malawi Electoral Commission Chair, Jane Ansah, resigns. Looting and vandalism have occurred during recent demonstrations throughout Malawi’s major cities.
Actions to Take: The U.S. Embassy recommends that you:
- Exercise caution when moving around Lilongwe.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route.
- If you are unable to depart, keep your windows up and your doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
- S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
- S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter