Event: On Thursday, June 6, clashes between the Malawi Congress Party (MCP) and Malawi Police Service (MPS) resulted in the use of tear gas that disrupted U.S. Embassy operations.
The Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy will be open on Friday, June 7 for emergency American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid any travel to and around the U.S. Embassy and MCP headquarters until further notice.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route.
- If you are unable to depart the area, keep your windows up and doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3421
Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter