Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe
June 20, 2019
Event: On Thursday, June 20, nationwide protest marches are scheduled in major cities around Malawi.
Specifically, in Lilongwe, it is recommended to avoid Area 3, City Center, Lilongwe Community Grounds, Kenyatta Avenue and Capitol Hill.
The Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy will be open on Thursday, June 20 and Friday, June 21 for routine and emergency American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid unnecessary travel on June 20, 2019 if possible.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route.
- If you are unable to depart the area, keep your windows up and doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
- S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3421
Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter