Location: Malawi (Nationwide)
The Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) has called for mass, nationwide demonstrations on January 16, 2020. In Lilongwe, the demonstration is scheduled to take place from 12:00 to 17:30. The route in Lilongwe will begin at Lilongwe Community ground and proceed through Kamuzu Procession Road, Chilambula Road, M1- Area 18 roundabout, Presidential Way, Chilembwe and end at Capital Hill.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration routes.
- Exercise caution when moving around all areas of Malawi, particularly in Lilongwe in Area 3, Crossroads and Area 18 roundabout and City Center where vandals have engaged in throwing stones at passing cars, stopping cars to rob occupants and looting.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route. If you unable to depart, keep your windows up and your doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
- U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3431
- Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- E-mail: LilongweConsular@state.gov
- Website: https://mw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter