Location: Lilongwe, Blantyre, potentially other cities throughout Malawi
Event: Demonstrations/strikes/protests September 19-22 in Lilongwe, Blantyre, and in other cities throughout Malawi.
- The Professional Drivers Union of Malawi scheduled a nationwide strike September 19to increase truck drivers’ salaries.Previous trucker strikes have affected primary roads in and out of major cities.
- The Human Rights Ambassadors (HRA) and the Concerned Citizens Timely Voice (CCTV) are scheduled to protest the high cost of living, fuel shortages, and economic difficulties on September 21 at 9:00 a.m. in Lilongwe.
- Penjani Kalua has organized a “Free Mussa Parade” against selective justice.It is expected to begin at 9:00 a.m. on September 22 in Blantyre.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas in Lilongwe and Blantyre and other areas as they arise.
- Avoid crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review personal security plans.
- Gather essential supplies should the strike become a prolonged event.