Embassy Lilongwe is pleased to announce we are accepting proposals for the Ambassador’s Special Self-Help Fund.
Embassy Lilongwe welcomes proposals for funding under the Ambassador’s Special Self-Help Fund. This program seeks to fund small but important projects that will create small business opportunities, teach marketable skills, and expand educational opportunities at the local level. All projects are community based, initiated and administered locally, and have significant community contributions in cash, labor, or materials. Examples of projects funded in the past include oil and nut processing improvement, dairy production improvement, school libraries, girls’ hostels, biogas digesters, efficient stove installations, a mushroom lab, and clean water provision.
Grants for up to $8,000 U.S. Dollars (USD) are available. Projects that address needs within disadvantaged or marginalized populations are encouraged.
Self-Help Program Application Schedule
- Application Period: April 1, 2022 – May 31, 2022
- Grant Award Announcement: September 2022.
- Limit of ONE (1) proposal per organization.
- Funds cannot be comingled with funds from other donors
- Funding is competitive and not guaranteed.
Civilian, religious, social, community development, special interest, disability, or advocacy group or organization may request funding for a community activity.
Applicants should be organized, motivated, and able to show a real need. The proposed project must be feasible and based on the socio-economic context of the local community. In addition, an applicant should have adequate internal controls and financial monitoring procedures in place, and strong ties to and support from the local community and local governmental bodies.
To be eligible for funding the project must:
- Improve basic economic or social conditions in the community
- Benefit the greatest number of people possible.
- Include substantial community contribution.
- Be within the community’s ability to maintain and operate.
- Be completed within 12 months
- Be self-sustaining upon completion.
- Provide evidence that the selected Project Coordinator is financially responsible and will be able to account for funds received
Proposals due May 31, 2022 17:00 CAT
For applications sent by post they must be postmarked by that date and time. Proposals received after the closing date will not be considered.
Download the Notice of Funding Opportunity here (PDF 340 KB).