Alert – U.S. Embassy Lilongwe
July 9, 2019
Event: The U.S. Embassy will resume full operations Tuesday, July 9, 2019. Given the possibility of further demonstrations this week, U.S. Embassy personnel are operating with the following restrictions:
- Essential day trips outside of Lilongwe until Wednesday, July 10 require prior approval from the Regional Security Office.
- Essential overnight travel until Wednesday, July 10 requires approval from the Regional Security Office.
- No travel beyond Wednesday within Malawi is presently authorized. If Mission personnel are travelling this week, they must return to Lilongwe before Wednesday night.
Actions to take:
- Ensure you have a fully charged radio and cell phone.
- Regularly check your phone and email for updates regarding the security environment.
- Exercise caution when moving around all areas of Malawi.
- If you see a barrier or individuals blocking your path, turn around and find an alternate route.
- If you are unable to depart, keep your windows up and your doors locked, seek shelter if needed.
- Avoid large crowds and always leave yourself room to maneuver.
- U.S. Embassy Lilongwe, Malawi
U.S. citizens with emergencies: +265-1-773-166 Ext. 3421
Outside of office hours: +265-999-960-178
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.